After getting a kindle, a whole new world of books opened up, and I didn't know where to start! Here will be the rambles about the books I have read. There isn't much of a theme to what I read, and I love to receive book recommendations (if you want to hear me ramble about a book you've enjoyed!)

Sunday, 16 October 2011

Mr Planemaker's Flying Machine - Shelagh Watkins

And so I continue in catching up with the blogging! This is another one of the books I downloaded from the kindle store whilst it was free, and in going back to hunt out the link for you guys, its still free! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Planemakers-Flying-Machine-ebook/dp/B0046REN9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318782580&sr=8-1 which is fairly surprising, since normally by the time I get around to reading a free book, its no longer free.

Now, to those of you who think this sounds like a children's book by the title, then well, you are right. But, I enjoy reading children's books in between sometimes, if only for some light relief. This book certainly provided some of that, although the storyline was more complex than I was expecting, and there were brief moments when I lost track with the plot.

So, about this plot. The story follows a brother and sister, Dell and Emmelisa Planemaker, and the adventures they have with their computer. It features a mix of difficult to deal with situations, such as bullying, bereavement, and spitefulness, as well as the more adventurous fantasy elements as the pair step inside the computer into the fantasy world of Hardwareland, as they undertake their extraordinary journey on the trail of light mission, to learn about what they are truly capable of.

Having only read it myself, I can't say what a child would make of the story. For sure, I think the fact that it tackles sibling rivalry, bullying and the loss of a parent could help to make some children feel less alone, when they might struggle to talk to others about it. It also has the far more light-hearted fantasy elements. Plus, to top it off, most of the characters feature rather corny names, such as Mayja Troublemaker and Verry Boringman, which even I had to stifle the giggles at.

Despite it being a little absurd at times, I did enjoy reading this book, and considering the fact that at the moment it is free for fellow kindlers, it really is worth a quick download. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. It sounds like something I will want for my grandchildren, after I read it first myself.

    ReplyDelete